Saturday, July 25, 2015

Food? exhibition poster

I designed the poster for our show, using an image from my trip to the Customs centre.
First design (before artists had confirmed - and before I found out the poster needed all the artists' names on it:)



The final design was printed in 3 different colours - to catch attention, and also to reference the different colours from the biosecurity scans.
At the time I didn't realise just how well the poster would work as an indication of the futuristic, 'sci-fi' feel of the show. A lot of people who walked in said that it felt like a space ship. This was a surprising angle - as the show's curator, I didn't expect this one element would become so prominent. I think Dominique's work especially got people thinking about the future of food, the idea of synthetic solutions, etc. and a lot of visitors found this approach to be quite alarming. This in itself was exciting - the effectiveness of the shock factor.
Anyway. Here are the final poster designs, as seen around Elam/uni: